JACK T. TREVORS
- Faculty of Science, Alumni of Honour Award, University of Waterloo (2007)
- Chair, Education Division, Canadian College of Microbiologists (CCM)
- Editor-in-Chief: Water, Air and Soil Pollution and Water, Air and Soil Pollution Focus (Springer)
- Co-Editor-in-Chief: The Environmentalist (Springer)
- Editor: Antonie van Leeuwenhoek (Springer)
- Editor: J. Microbiol. Meths. (Elsevier)
- Advisory Board of the Journal of Biological Education, Inst. of Biology, U.K.
- Editor-in-Chief: Encyclopedia of Global Environmental Pollution (Springer)
- Editor-in-Chief: Environmental Pollution Book Series (Springer)
- Member: Canadian Society Microbiology
- Member: Scientists Without Borders
- Member: Bioencapsulation Research Group (BRG)
- Fellow of International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC)
- Fellow of American Academy of Microbiology (FAAM)
- Fellow of Institute of Biology, London, U.K. (FIBIOL)
- Fellow of World Innovation Foundation (FWIF)
- F.L.S. (Fellow of Linnean Society, U.K.)
- Fellow World Academy of Art and Science (FWAAS)
- C.Biol. (Chartered Biologist) Institute of Biology, U.K.
- ARMCCM (Canadian College of Microbiologists)
- Member: Biology, Medicine and Society Think Tank, France
- Executive Member of Controlled Environment Research Facility, U. of Guelph
- Member: Expert Panel on Genomics and Health (National Research Council of Canada 2007-2009)
- Member of Expert Panel (Government of Canada) on Living Organisms on Domestic Substances List (2006-2008)
- Member of Denitrification RCN (Research Coordination Network) Denitrification, National Science Foundation. USA (May 2009-)
- Member of NSERC Strategic Bioconversion Network (2009-2014)
- Member of Biomed Experts Network
The Learning Zone (a student's guide to lifelong learning). *Please contact me for information on this book*
Bacterial cell biology, environmental microbiology/biotechnology, physiology and ecology. Reporter gene technology, use of polymerase chain reaction (PCR) in microbiology applications. Survival and activities of genetically engineered bacteria in soil and water. Infectivity and viability of Cryptosporidium parvum. Environmental bacterial pathogens. Encapsulation and use of bacterial cells in environmental applications such as bioremediation. Fluorescent polarization to study bacterial cells and membranes. Bioenergy from waste. Biological systems for terrestrial and space applications, effects of microgravity and hypobaric pressure on bacterial cytoplasmic membranes. Bacterial evolution with an emphasis on the origin and the first bacterial cells and functional genetic instructions.
Recent Publication Examples
Saleh-Lakha, S., K.E. Shannon, S.L. Henderson, C. Goyer, J.T. Trevors, B.J. Zebarth and D.LO. Burton. 2009.
- Effect of pH and temperature on denitrification genes expression and activity in Pseudomonas mandelii. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 75: 3903-3911.
Pokorny, N.J., J.I. Boulter-Bitzer, J.C. Hall, H. Lee and J.T. Trevors. 2008.
- Cryptosporidium parvum infection of a mammalian cell culture by recombinant scFv antibodies. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 94: 353-364.
Durston, K.K., D.L. Abel, D.K.Y. Chiu and J.T. Trevors. 2007.
- A measure of functional sequence complexity. Theoretical Biology and Medical Modelling 4: 4-47.
Dandie, C.E., M.N. Miller, D.L. Burton, B.J. Zebarth, J.T. Trevors and C. Goyer. 2007.
- Nitric-oxide reductase-targeted Real-Time PCR quantification of denitrifier populations in soil. Appl. Environm. Microbiol. 73: 4250-4258.
Abel, D.L. and J.T. Trevors. 2006.
- Self-organization vs. self-ordering events in life-origin models. Physics of Life Reviews 3: 211-228.
Pokorny, N., M.M. Hart, L. Storey, J. Boulter, H. Lee and J.T. Trevors. 2006.
- Hypobaric bacteriology: growth, cytoplasmic membrane polarization and total cellular fatty acids responses of Escherichia coli and Bacillus subtilis. Int. J. Astrobiol. 4: 187-193.
Baysee, C., M. Cullinane, V. Denervaud, E. Burrows, J.M. Dow, J.P. Moprrisseu, L. Tam, J.T. Trevors and Fergal O'Gara. 2005.
- Premature activation of quorum sensing by alteration of the phospholipid biosynthetic pathway in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Microbiology 151: 2529-2542.
Trevors, J.T. and G.H. Pollack. 2005.
- The origin of life in a hydrogel environment. Prog. Biophys. Mol. Biol. 89: 1-8.
van Elsas, J.D., J.K. Jansson and J.T. Trevors. (Eds.). 2007.
ENVB*4800 Topics in Applied Biology (F)
MICR*4140 Soil Microbiology and Biotechnology (F)
ENVB*6190 Environmental Microbial Technology (W) alternate years
- Dr. P. Bajwa email@example.com
- Dr. S. Saleh firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Sukhdeep Sidhu email@example.com
- Dr. D.Y. Young firstname.lastname@example.org
- Evica Dmitrovic MSc email@example.com
- Stephen Hill MSc firstname.lastname@example.org
- *Elisabeth Koch MSc email@example.com
- *Nadia Mykytczuk (Laurentian University)
- *Jessica Rahn MSc firstname.lastname@example.org
- *Jessica Van Frankenhuyzen MSc email@example.com
- L. Barker (Springer Editorial Assistant)
Click here to return to the Environmental Biology Faculty Page.